Braintree for WooCommerce
Braintree for WooCommerce (formerly PayPal Powered by Braintree)lets you accept credit cards and PayPal payments on your WooCommerce store via Braintree. Customers can save their credit card details or link a PayPal account to their WooCommerce user account for fast and easy checkout.
Braintree for WooCommerce includes full support for WooCommerce Subscriptions and WooCommerce Pre-Orders for both the credit card and PayPal gateways! Click here for more information about Subscriptions and Pre-Orders compatibility.
- PHP 5.4+ (you can see this under WooCommerce > Status)
- WooCommerce 2.6+
- An SSL certificate
- A Braintree Direct account
- cURL support (most hosts have this enabled by default)
- Ensure your store meets the plugin requirements.
- Download the extension from your WooCommerce dashboard.
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload and select the ZIP file you just downloaded.
- Click Install Now and then Activate.
- Click Configure and read the next section to learn how to setup the plugin.
Follow the steps below to connect the plugin to your Braintree Direct account:
- Login to your Braintree Control Panel.
- Select the gear icon in the upper right corner and click API.
- From here, you can click View to view an existing set of API keys or Generate New API Key to create a new set.
- When viewing keys, copy the Public Key, Private Key, and Merchant ID.
- Now, login to your WooCommerce site and go to WooCommerce > Settings > Payments and select either of the Braintree gateways.
- Paste the copied API keys into the associated fields under the Connection Settings.
- Click Save changes.
That’s it! You’re ready to start accepting payments. Keep reading if you want to tweak settings and customize the checkout process.
Credit card settings
You can configure the following settings for the Braintree for WooCommerce credit card gateway:
- Enable / Disable: Allow customers to use this gateway to checkout.
- Title: The text shown for the payment during checkout and on the Order Received page.
- Description: The text shown under the gateway’s title during checkout. Limited HTML is allowed. If you enable test mode, this section will also display a notice along with test credit card numbers.
- Card Verification (CSC): Require customers to enter their card security codes when checking out.
- Transaction Type: Controls how transactions are submitted to Authorize.Net. Defaults to “Charge” to automatically capture payments. Click here to learn more about capturing payments.
- Charge Virtual-Only Orders: If Transaction Type is set to “Authorization”, enable this to automatically capture charges for orders with only virtual products. For downloadable products, this will grant downloads access right away.
- Capture Paid Orders: If Transaction Type is set to “Authorization”, enable this to automatically capture charges when orders move to a paid status.
- Accepted Card Logos: Determines which card logos are displayed during checkout. This has no impact on which cards are accepted by your merchant account.
- Tokenization: Let customers save their payment methods for future use at checkout. The Vault must be enabled in your Braintree account to use tokenization. This is required for Subscriptions or Pre-Orders.
- Detailed Decline Messages: Display detailed messages to customers to provide reasoning for declines instead of a generic error message when possible. Click here to read more about detailed decline messages.
- Debug Mode: Enable when you’re having issues processing transactions. You can choose to log API requests directly on the checkout page, save them to the WooCommerce > Status > Logs page, or both. As a best practice, please do not enable this setting unless you’re having issues with the plugin.
- Environment: Switch between “Production” and “Sandbox” credentials. Set to “Production” to process payments. Enable “Sandbox” to send transactions to your Braintree sandbox account. Click here to sign up for a Braintree sandbox account.
- Share connection settings: If using the credit card and PayPal gateways, select this setting to share credentials between the gateways so you don’t have to enter them twice.
- Merchant ID, Public Key, Private Key: API key credentials required to connect the plugin to Braintree. Click here for instructions on locating those keys.
- Merchant Account IDs: Use if you have different merchant accounts for multi-currency support. Click here to read more about Braintree multi-currency.
- Dynamic Descriptors: Determine how your store is represented on customer credit card statements. Click here to read more about dynamic descriptors.
- Fraud Settings: Optionally select the fraud tool you’d like to use for your payments. Click here to read more about fraud and verification tools.
- 3D Secure: Optionally enable different 3D secure verifications if enabled under your Braintree account. Click here to read more about 3D secure.
To use the Braintree PayPal gateway, you must have PayPal enabled in your Braintree account under Settings > Processing.
There are no reviews yet.