WooCommerce Checkout Add-ons
WooCommerce Checkout Add-Ons lets you add fields to the checkout page, which can be used to gather information from your customers, upsell services and products, and much more. Customers can view and modify these fields during checkout to add tips, gift wrapping, rush handling, gift messages, and more to their purchases.
- Checkout Add-Ons are not dependent on the products in an order, but are added to the entire order. If you’re looking for add-ons that only apply to certain products, please check out the Product Add-ons extension.
- This plugin cannot manage inventory or SKUs for add-on “products” or services, as they essentially act like fees.
- Download the extension from your WooCommerce dashboard.
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload and select the ZIP file you just downloaded.
- Click Install Now and then Activate.
- Go to WooCommerce > Checkout Add-ons and read the next section to learn how to use the plugin.
Setup and Configuration
You can decide where your add-on fields will appear on the checkout page – before or after the billing details section or before the order summary (default) – by adjusting the display setting:
- Go to Appearance > Customize.
- Select WooCommerce > Checkout.
- Select the desired display setting from the Checkout Add-Ons display menu.
- Click Publish.
On the same Customize tab, you can choose if you want to apply percentage adjustments based on the total or subtotal of the order.
Creating Checkout Add-ons
To create a checkout add-on, go to WooCommerce > Checkout Add-Ons and click Add add-on.
You can now begin creating your checkout field! On the General tab, you can modify the following fields:
- Enabled: Add-ons are enabled by default, but can be disabled if you want to temporarily remove them without completely deleting them from your site.
- Checkout Label: Optional. Customer-facing label for this add-on. If left blank, the add-on Title will be used.
- Description: Optional. Customer-facing field where you can provide additional context about the add-on. Supports limited HTML.
- Add-on Type: Choose the add-on field type.
- Default value: Optional. The value that should be prepopulated for the field on the checkout page.
- Price adjustment: Optional. Determine the fee or discount associated with this add-on, as either a fixed amount or a percentage.
- Taxable?: Determines if tax rates should apply to the add-on. This setting will only appear if taxes are enabled for your store.
- Tax Rate: If taxable, determines which tax rate will apply to the add-on.
- Attributes: Optional. These settings impact whether the add-on field is required and if/how it should be displayed on the Orders page.
|TYPE||DESCRIPTION||EXAMPLE USE CASE|
|Text||Customer can enter a short string of text.||Gift recipient’s name|
|Text Area||Customer can enter a long string of text.||Gift messages|
|Select||Customer can select one option from a drop-down menu.||Gift wrapping options|
|Multiselect||Customer can select one, several, or all options from a drop-down menu.||Shipping and handling add-ons (e.g. Add Insurance, Add Rush Handling, etc.)|
|Radio||Customer can select one option from a list of radio buttons.||Choosing whether or not the order contains a gift.|
|Checkbox||Customers can select a single checkbox.||Adding a fixed-amount donation|
|Multi-checkbox||Customer can select one, several, or all options from a list of checkboxes.||Gift wrapping add-ons (e.g. Add a bow, Add tissue paper, etc.)|
|File||Customer can upload a file to include in their order, which you can access from your Media Library or when viewing the order.||Custom card cover|