WooCommerce URL Coupons
The WooCommerce URL Coupons extension helps you create discount links that automatically apply a coupon and products to a customer’s shopping cart. You can choose to apply the coupon via a unique URL or when a customer visits an existing page on your site. Your discount links will obey all coupon settings and restrictions, such as general settings and usage restrictions.
- Download the extension from your WooCommerce dashboard
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload and select the ZIP file you just downloaded
- Click Install Now, and then Activate
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings > General and read the next section to learn how to setup and configure the plugin.
Setup and Configuration
While URL coupons don’t technically need settings to operate properly, it does add two options to the general settings that can streamline store management.
To view these options, go to WooCommerce > Settings > General tab and scroll down to the General options section:
- The Coupon URL Prefix setting can be used to add an automated prefix to all URL coupons. This is useful if you wish to exclude links with this prefix from your caching for improved coupon performance.
- The Hide coupon code field settings can be used to hide other coupon methods, which can help conversions as customers won’t leave your checkout to search for other coupon codes. You can opt to hide the coupon fields on the cart page, checkout, or both.
When the coupon field is hidden, the “Apply Coupon” fields are hidden from customers on the respective pages, which can allow you to use only URL coupons for your store if you desire. In the screenshot, notice that the “Apply Coupon” field is missing to the left of “Update Cart” when using a URL coupon with these options enabled:
To create a new coupon, or edit an existing coupon code, navigate to Marketing > Coupons, and either add a new coupon or select one to edit.
Then go to the Discount links tab to set up the discount link for the coupon. Note that these settings do not need to be enabled unless you’d like to apply the coupon via URL.
- Apply via URL – Enable to apply the coupon when a unique URL or page is visited. Keep this setting disabled if you prefer the customer manually enters the coupon code instead.
- Apply coupon when You can choose to either apply the coupon when the customer visits an existing page on your site (e.g., a landing page) or when they visit a unique URL.
- Choose page – This option is available if you’ve chosen to apply the coupon when a customer visits an existing page. From the dropdown select the page or post that a customer can visit to have this coupon applied to their cart. The default is your store’s cart page.
For example, you can use an announcement post for a new product and include a notice in the post that just by reading, customers have had a coupon automatically applied (plus even add the product to the cart if desired).
- Unique URL – This option is available if you’ve chosen to apply the coupon when a customer visits a unique URL. The entry is added to the end of the store URL, which will create the link that the customer can visit to have the discount applied. There is a live preview next to the text box that shows the full URL.Please read more about Unique URLs to learn about permalinks and expected behavior.
- Page Redirect – This option is available if you’ve chosen to apply the coupon when a customer visits a unique URL. Select the page the customer should be redirected to after visiting the link. For example, if you have your unique URL set to
/coupon/20off, you might want to redirect customers to the shop or cart page. The default is your store’s cart page.
- Products to Add to Cart (Optional) – Select which product(s) should be added to the cart when the discount link is visited. If you’d like to add a variation of a product to the cart, be sure to select the variation that has the proper attributes listed (e.g., don’t select “T-Shirt”, select “T-Shirt, small, black”).
Only products that are valid for purchase will be added to the cart. For example, if a product is out of stock and you’ve disabled backorders for a product, that product will not be added to the cart when the unique URL is visited. Additionally, please note that only one quantity of an item can be added to the cart.
- Defer Apply (Optional) – Enable this option to “remember” the coupon in case the customer’s cart does not meet the requirements. Once the cart meets the requirements, the coupon will be applied. If disabled, the coupon will initially check for any requirements and fail if they’re not present (I.e., the coupon won’t be applied again once the requirements are met).
If a coupon has a URL assigned, you’ll also see this change when viewing all coupons, as a “URL Slug” column is added. This lets you easily see the URL for a coupon on your site.
When creating the discount links, please take note of the following behavior:
- URLs are not case-sensitive.
site.com/CoUpOnis the same as
- If you choose a page of an existing product/post/page, any customer that views that product/post/page will have a coupon applied.
Adding a trailing slash to a URL makes a diffe